A closed figure formed by joining 3 or more line segments are called polygons and the sides of the polygons do not cross each other. Different polygons are named based on the number of sided in its figure:
If we have a closed figure formed by joining 3 line segments it is called a triangle.
Similarly a figure formed by joining 4 line segments is called a quadrilateral.
A figure formed by joining 5 line segments is called a pentagon.
Figure formed by joining 6 line segments is called a hexagon, a seven sided figure is heptagon, an eight sided figure is octagon, a nine sided figure is nonagon, and a ten sided figure is called decagon. If a polygon has all the sides equal then it is called a regular polygon.
Parallelogram Definition: A quadrilateral is a shape formed by joining 4 line segments. Different types of quadrilaterals can be formed. As opposite sides of a parallelogram are parallel so they will never meet or intersect. Opposite sides of a parallelogram are congruent and the diagonals of a parallelogram always bisect each other.
A parallelogram is a special type of quadrilateral, in which it’s opposite sides are equal and parallel. We can see Many special figures which come in the family of parallelograms. They are as follows :
1. Square: A figure in which all the four sides are equal and all the four angles are 90ᶱ is called a square. We observe that a square is a special kind of parallelogram in which
* All sides are equal
* Its diagonals are perpendicular bisectors of each other and
* All angles are 90ᶱ.
We find that opposite sides of a square are parallel and equal , so it is also called parallelogram. Also as it’s all sides are equal, so it is also called a regular quadrilateral.
2. Rectangle: A figure with opposite sides equal and all its angles are 90 ᶱ is called a rectangle. This figure is also a special kind of parallelogram in which
* All angles are 90 ᶱ
* Its Diagonal bisect each other and
* Opposite sides are equal and parallel. So it is also called Parallelogram. It is called a special parallelogram which has all its angles equal to 90ᶱ.
3. Rhombus : A figure with all four sides equal and its diagonals bisect each other at 90ᶱ is called a rhombus. This figure when tilted in such a way that all its angles becomes 90ᶱ, then it takes the shape of a square. It is another kind of a parallelogram as its opposite sides are parallel and equal.
Here we have different and shapes representing parallelograms.